Elections are today, and with elections comes stress. You should not spend your time looking at social media or polling sites because it is going to increase your stress and anxiety levels. Instead, you should be taking care of yourself during this time. Below will be nine self-care tips that will be beneficial during this time.
- Breathe. Close your eyes and breathe in and out. Focusing on your breath going in and out of your lungs will calm you and give you a boost. Doing this can help you rest your body and mind.
- Meditate. Turn off your phone and focus on yourself. During this mediation time, you can listen to your favorite music, light a candle, and focus on anything that makes you happy. Do it in a place that gives you happiness. It could your room or even outside.
- Sign of social media. Social media is going to be very toxic during this time and it might add to your stress. It might be best to sign off for a while or delete a few apps. If you do this, you can have a friend, that will be tuning into the elections, to send you important updates.
- Work out. Working out for some people can ease their stress. You can do yoga, or you can do a home workout. This will help you unblock and clear your mind
- Socialize. During this time, it will be best to hang out with friends that make you happy. You guys can do self-care together. Being with someone will be beneficial.
- Try to get some sleep. During this time, you are probably having a hard time sleeping. Getting some sleep will ease a little of the stress that you are having. Not sleeping can have you more agitated and anxious, and you do not need that on top of all of the other stress.
- Take a mental health day. If you can, you should consider taking a mental health day. Use this to work on yourself and your mental health. Go out and do your favorite things. You can stay at home and do your favorite things. This can include watching your favorite movies, painting, or journaling. You can even just take some time to do things you have been meaning to do. If you take this day, remember to get out and do not stay in the bed.
- Give yourself space. Give your grace and time to process what is going on. A lot is going on in the world today, and you need time to think and process it.
- Give and/or Get support. Election night will be very stressful for all. You should prepare to offer emotional support for your friends and family and be prepared to receive emotional support from them. If you need extra support, please reach out to a therapist or anyone you may need. Do not be afraid to reach out because there is someone for you out there.
Regardless of the outcomes, there will be a lot of anger and violence in the world. Don’t let your stress and sadness get to you during this time. Do not let it overcome you. Please remember to take care of yourself. Your mind and body come first and remember that.